Every year for Memorial Day Weekend, our Cub Scout pack goes to Golden Gate National Cemetery to honor those who have served our country and fallen by decorating their gravestones with the American flag. This is such an amazing experience and I am so grateful that we get to participate in this wonderful experience. At the opening ceremonies, there was a man who spoke who told us that the first time he had been to this cemetery was when he was eight years old for his Grandpa; then later when he was fifteen for his Grandma to be laid to rest next to her husband. He returned to the cemetery in 2006 for a third time, but this time for his son. Not a dry eye was in the crowd. There are over 100,000 graves in this cemetery, which looks daunting as you enter the cemetery. But in just a couple of short hours, every gravestone has a flag by it. I am so proud to be an American, and am so grateful for every man and woman who has served both past and present. I am so proud of the cub scouts for waking up early and coming to participate in something so special. Such a great group of boys!
God Bless America!
2 comments:
Thank-you for your service. What a story..I had a lump in my throat. Have a nice Memorial Day. Love you! Our scouts lined our whole neighborhood with flags, it looks so nice. Makes you want to stand up and sing all our patriotic songs.
SO cool! I love that tradition!
Post a Comment