Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Treasures in heaven

Life has been a little crazy lately. Do any of you wish you could go back and rewind your life just a little? I do. I felt like that tonight, Kevin gone, again, and me home trying my best at putting the little loves to sleep. After they fall asleep, then I wish I could hug them and give them kisses, and tell them mommy loves them so much. I wish I hadn't gotten mad at them or raised my voice. I think of their sweet innocent faces looking at me as I read them a story, or peeking to take a glance at me while I say the bedtime prayer. I give them a kiss on the cheek and tuck their covers in around them. Oh how I wish their daddy could be home. Their is a calm or balance that is in our home when he is home, and I find that I have a shoulder to lean on. And just when I start to feel sorry for myself or frustrated with how my life is, I think about other people who have it hard all of the time. I was feeling this way tonight trying to think of a way to better teach and help my children, when I thought I would read some blogs. A lady named Stephanie Nielson is a mom of four children, and she talked about how wonderful it truly is to be a mom. Her life seemed very together and wonderful, and she has inspired many readers. Last year, she and her husband were in a plane accident, and just like that, their whole world has completely changed. I can't even imagine the excruciating pain they both must be going through with recovery. Here is something that she wrote a while back.

Mr. Nielson recently got home from a business trip to San Fransisco.When the car pulled in the garage 4 happy little children ran out to greet the families breadwinner. Daddy was home. I was in the kitchen, preparing dinner. Perfect timing.Mr. Nielson bounded through the door with the children practically stuck to his body.In his hands were a dozen deep red roses wrapped in newspaper.It was a sweet welcome home gift.We pondered over the weekend what pulls our time. Work, yoga, airplanes,travel, blogging, and school. It was another vivid reminder that what matters most is what is non of the above, but rather what abides with us in our humble home.Our Marriage + Our Children = Treasure. Claire, Jane Bronwyn, Oliver and of course our little critter the gigs Nicholas.Our marriage matters most, and our church activity.With the right perspective, life is actually very wonderful. Really it is.I saw a funny bumper sticker yesterday on a beat-up jalopy. It read:"Don't be fooled by my car, my treasure is really in heaven."Is my treasure in heaven? I believe it is, and I believe my home is heaven on earth.

It really makes you think about what is important in our life. I hope that my family knows how important they are to me and my life just wouldn't be the same without them. I feel so blessed for a wonderful guy who supports and loves me. And I feel truly blessed for three beautiful children who I love with all of my heart. So here is a gentle kiss on your cheeks little ones, sweet dreams and good night. See you in the morning.

3 comments:

olivia (tringham) lyman said...

This is beautiful, Kristen. Beautiful words, beautiful thoughts, and beautiful children.

Thank you for sharing.

TOVAR said...

I have been having similar feelings this past well it seems forever. I often feel so caught up in a moments frustration that I forget the bigger picture. Every night I thank Heavenly Father for such blessings as my children are and fervently apologize for being less then wonderful to His precious gifts.

Stephanie said...

Kristen that was truly inspirational and gives me different perspective - thank you! Very beautiful and well-said. I love you guys and how you are so loving and calm and Kevin is just so wonderful. I'm sure he is a wonderful dad and husband and I can totally imagine how he manages to give you that support and peace - he's just that kind of guy. I miss you guys!