By
John T. Bird
We pause to remember those who died
With so much courage, so much pride
They’ll never come back, yet memories endure
To remind us of freedom: fragile, pure
We’re worthy of their sacrifice if we pause each day
Not just on the last Monday in May
Yesterday, the fam and I were able to participate in something truly special. Every year, hundreds of volunteers go to the National Cemetery in San Bruno, CA and place flags at each of the 113,000 gravestones. It was an unbelievable thing to see and participate in. Words can't express how you feel looking out all around you, seeing thousands of headstones rolling over the green hills. The bravery, valor, and sacrifice that so many of these men and women have given. It was amazing to see that within the hour, every single grave stone had an American flag placed.
A couple of weeks ago, my mom and dad took us to Sacramento to see the Vietnam memorial. There was this statue there who reminded all of us of my brother, James. Before we got there, I asked the kids to look for Uncle James, and they ran right over to this young man and said, "Here he is!" When I took this picture, I later noticed how Kim is holding his hand. This is exactly how the 3 of them would look if they were really taking a picture with my little brother. If you notice, the man is holding a letter written to him from his mom and dad. It talks about the BBQ that they are planning when he gets home, how proud they are of their son, and these words- "don't try to be brave, son. We don't need a medal of honor, we just need our son". Tears flowed down my cheeks as I read this sweet letter, and as I looked around at all the murals of young guys carrying young children and women to safety, on the lookout for the enemy in the jungle, and rescuing people who are in danger. While we were there, a Vietnamese family joined us, and their story is really amazing. The dad served in the Vietnam army and was a POW in one of their "re-education camps". They both had to escape to America, where they have raised their girls and made a life for themselves. It must have been hard to leave their family and friends, but they sacrificed everything and risked their lives to come to this wonderful country. Tears swelled up in their eyes when they talked about how much they love America and that we must pray for it now.
We know 10 young men, daddy's and hubby's, who are overseas right now, serving their country. I am very proud of all of the men and women who are serving in our military and who are protecting this amazing and beautiful country. God bless the U.S.A.!
3 comments:
How I loved this post! What a great thing to have your family particpate in! Love you guys...
What an amazing thing for your family and your scouts to do. It looks like everyone is really enjoying themselves. That statue looks so incredibly much like James, and what a sweet picture you captured of your kiddos with it. This is such a great post, Kristen. I teared up reading it.
And seriously, you are the only person in creation who can rock the yellow scout shirt.
I meant to comment on this before. I love that you do this. What a great post! I need to do this with my kids more. Thanks!
Post a Comment