Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Is it a love/hate relationship that siblings have with each other?


Or is it just my kids?

As my sister, Olivia, says, a brotherly/sisterly relationship is SICK really! Megan has difficult days with Kimberly as her younger sister. We watched family movies together today and I saw a definite change in her personality when she became the "middle child". My observation was confirmed as we were driving to pick up Jordan from school. Megan was acting grumpy, and I was asking her why??? She said, "Hmmmph, I am trying to hide my face so I don't have to look at Kimberly." WHO SAYS THESE THINGS??? I look in the rear view mirror at Kim, and she has her arm outstretched to touch her big sister and is saying something to her. Let me just tell you how her attitude completely changed the minute Jordan hopped in the car. "HI JORDAN! HOW WAS YOUR DAY?" And chatty-kathy the rest of the way home.



In Megan's eyes, nothing is better than her big brother, Jordan. They are starting to be really great friends, and you ain't never heard a true belly laugh until you get them together. They crack each other up!
The other day, Megan says, "Kim, just stop it!" I asked what Kim was doing, and Megan proceeds to tell me that Kim is not talking right and she can't understand her, so she might as well just stop talking.

I KNOW! WHO SAYS THESE THINGS?

I think my "middle child" is trying to tell me something, but I am not quite sure how to respond???
I know that Megan loves her little sister, but there are those days when I have to wonder...



Kimberly was a surprise, but Jordan was SO sure that he was going to have a baby brother (as was I). I was worried about his reponse to her when she was born because of her being a girl and not a boy. However, the minute he saw and held her, they have had a great bond with each other. Sure he teases her and is rough with her, but she will love him no matter what. Nobody can make Kim smile quite like Jordan can. (Except maybe for her big sis, Meg).


I LOVE my little Meggie girl and I always want her to be my happy sweet child! Because she is so wonderful and has always been such a delight to have around. Hopefully as Kim grows out of the INTO EVERYTHING stage, they will have a wonderful friendship too!

3 comments:

TOVAR said...

Tell me about it. Our problems come with Mia weird feelings about Tiago. She loves spending time with him and helping him, but you can tell there is a bit of a funk. Tiago just loves everyone but insists on using them as wrestling partners whether they wanted to or not. Talia is just in it for the ride and isn't bogged down by the notion that she is so much younger than her siblings. It will take a lot of positive reinforcement so good luck.

olivia (tringham) lyman said...

Great post, Kristen. The whole sibling dynamic is a tough one. And those little sis's are so happy for anything their brother will give them. Anna just follows Jamie around all day hoping he'll include her in his play. Maybe we're just always tougher on the sibling right below us? That's why Meg is impatient with Kimmy? I don't know. Good luck! Tell Meg to be nice to her baby sis or Aunt Livy's going to come get her :). She really is such a sweetheart.

Anna said...

Your kids are adorable!

I think girls have this innate need to MOTHER someone--and sometimes not in the most positive ways! Abby can be a little bossy... Sander gets the brunt of it. But as he's gotten older (and bigger), she's had to let up some. They'll prob always have their moments, but I think as Kim gets older and she and Meg share more interests, it won't be as much of a competition between them. And I could be totally WRONG.

But they're definitely cute!!