Monday, August 17, 2009

"Ode to..."

There are few things in my life which make it so much more enjoyable. I go throughout my day to day routine, and I often think " I am so glad that I have ..." or "What would I ever do without ...". So here is a list of some of my pleasures or a list of "Ode to ..." that I find will be hard to live without now that I have found them. (Note: none of these are in any particular order)

1. My Ergo
My sister is the one who introduced to me last year. It is fabulous! I love carrying around my Kim without feeling like my lower back is going to break in half. You can even carry your child in it up to 40 lbs.! You can carry them in front, to the side, and on your back. Anyways, I love it!

2. Fudgees & Mother's Gaucho Peanut Butter cookies

If you have not tried these, you are missing out on something so wonderful! They are so delicious for a basic cookie, but I love Oreos and I love to dip a cookie and I love chocolate, soooo these were calling out my name in the store, and I fell. Mother's Peanut Butter Gaucho cookies (I know, I see a trend too). Although, Mother's cookies don't make these anymore, they are absolutely a delight and it is a sin that they are not being made anymore. I fell in love with them when I was a kid, but when I was pregnant with Kim, they seriously hit the spot (almost) every night.
3. Zumba!
Okay, so strategically placed after Fudgees and Gaucho cookies, this is the most fun I have had working out. I took some classes at the YMCA in San Antonio, and I have to admit that after not doing it for a couple of months now, I miss it. I will hear songs from blogs or around town that the Zumba instructor used, and I feel like dancing right there. You get a great workout while having so much fun! And I am not one to crave or even like going to the gym and working out, but with Zumba, because it is dancing, I can do that.

4. The beach

When you grew up 5 minutes from the beach in Cali, it is very hard to move to an inland state where it takes more than a day to get to a cool fresh breeze. And now that we are back in Cali, I truly appreciate it even more. For 12 years, I have lived in another state where it gets so hot in the summer, you can't even enjoy a stroll down the street. Sooo, yeah. And it's free entertainment for the kiddos. They run run run for forever, in and out of the waves. And it's educational too, for Megan was drawing shapes and letters in the sand with a stick. It is absolutely wonderful!

5. Desitin & the Baby Spring Float

No matter how bad the rash. Now matter how red or much it stings. You gently rub some of this fabulous ointment on their little bum, and in a matter of over night, it is healed. Unbelievable! With 2 children who get a diaper rash by drinking on cup of apple juice, it is a must. The baby spring float is sooo wonderful. It is convenient because it is not bulky, it is light weight, and so easy to use. You just open it up, strap on the shade cover, and put the little one in. It is one of the best inventions for swimming with little babies! I have loved having one this summer.

6. Oxi Clean Ode to this stuff!!! I have been able to get out most stains with this. I actually have a concoction of things that I use to help me get out the stains on the outfit that has been sitting in the laundry basket festering and seeping deep into the granules of the clothes because I forgot to wash it immediately after it happening. (Never happened to you before? Lucky you). Anyways, it is Oxiclean, with spray 'n' wash with laundry detergent. Works most of the time, especially with some help of the "soak cycle" on my machine.

7. Digital Cameras

Hello?!? How is it that there are any "good" pictures taken with our film cameras? When I try to get a snapshot of my kiddos, I have to take at least 4-7 pictures before getting a truly decent picture (and even then, someone is either making a corny smile OR their eyes are looking at something else besides the camera! ugghh). And it is not cheap to develop or buy the film, so I don't know how there are any cute pics of us when we were kids.

8. Anti-frizz

So, we can all come together and know that Kristen's hair would be up ALL OF THE TIME if there were no such thing as Frizz control!! What did the curly haired pioneer woman do about her lovely lion's mane that she had to tame? No wonder the hairdo of the century was up, tight! From a person who has had issues with her hair since the day she turned 13 years old, I have to say that one of my favorite things is anti-frizz solution in which I can actually "Do" my hair, curly or straight, and not have it frizzing out to China!

9. Email

Yes, I am guilty for checking my email at least twice a day. I love to receive messages from people and hearing about their day. Especially with a dear brother on a mission to Brazil, receiving those weekly emails is so great! I can't imagine how long it would seem to receive a written letter from a missionary or loved one who may be deployed. It is great that no matter where (for the most part anyways) a loved one is, they have access to a computer and can quickly shoot a nice letter home.

10. Family & friends

Being close to family again has been wonderful and I have missed it for awhile now. To sit on the couch with my sister and talk about ANYTHING and understand what the other one is going through and being the only ones who "get" each other, is so nice. Watching our crazy but cute kiddos running around like little Indians, and just enjoying each other again. Laying on my parent's bed, and talking with my mom and dad until late evening about whatever, is really nice. Being able to drive only 3 1/2 hours down to visit with them, is so nice. Living far away has made me get out of my shell and get to know so many wonderful people. I have formed special friendships, which I will never forget, and they have really been my "family away from family". I appreciate all of their sweet acts of kindness and love, and even though I probably won't see them again, I will love them forever. And just when the day is getting frustrating, one of my kids snuggles with me or gives me a kiss, or my wonderful husband gives me a call saying he will be home soon. These are gentle reminders that I have a wonderful life and that I need my little family to make it through the day. Nothing can repalce the love I have for my children and my husband, and I am so grateful for them.


So, there you have my list of "Ode to..." or my simple pleasures. There are a thousand more that I could list, and I am pretty sure they would be on most any one's list (i.e. deodorant (a must), vacuums, toothbrush, feminine products, Lysol wipes, cold cereal, etc.).

4 comments:

jeniferkarianne said...

I love all that you love too!!! I think the best anti frizz product is Kerastase. It's pretty expensive, but ask for it as a gift. The shampoo and conditioner are great, but my favorite is the oil (can't remember the name) that a is anti-frizz, heat protector deal. You can only get in several salons around the nation, but you can order it online. I have TONS of hair (had) and it only took one pump to miraculously change my life every morning!

Stephanie said...

Great list! What a fun post!

Anonymous said...

WOW!.... You made great list!. It's pretty expensive. I think the best anti frizz product is Kerastase.
___________________
Vince
LaserShield Wireless Home Alarm Security Systems

Kevin and Kristen said...

Okay, so who is Vince? I am totally confused. Is it you George or Kimberli?